Australia is a great country to start a business. There are many reasons for it. It has a culturally diverse population, some of the most liveable cities in the world, and higher disposable income than other countries in the region. Additionally, it has an educated workforce and has a stable economy and political environment. All of these things make it ripe for starting a new business.
Are you thinking about starting a business in Australia and conducting a business name search but don’t know how to register a company name in Australia? If yes, then you are at the right place. In this article, you will learn about how to register a company name in Australia, step by step.
Need a web design or logo design for business?
There are two ways to register a business name in Australia.
- ASIC Connect
To register a business name in Australia by using an online method, visit this website.
ASIC Connect Method
If you are logging into your ASIC account for the first time and don’t already own a business in Australia, make sure you select No to the question, Do you currently own a business in Australia? Or Have you ever owned a business in Australia before?
Here is a step by step method you can follow to register a business name in Australia via ASIC Connect.
- Log into the ASIC Connect account and go to the license and registration
- Select business name from the drop-down menu
- Type in your Australian business number
- Enter the proposed business name
- Next, choose the registration period (one or t)
- Input business name holder details (contact information, date of birth, etc)
- Add proposed business address
- Confirm that you are eligible to hold this business name (Ensure that you are not disqualified or convicted of criminal offenses as it can make you ineligible to hold a business)
- Review your application again
- Make payment through an invoice, credit card, or Bpay to confirm your transaction (Failure to make the payment in 10 days could cancel your application)
- Once the transaction is completed, your business name will be registered within 48 hours.
How to Conduct Business Name Search?
Struggling to come up with a business name in your business name search? Here are a few tips that will help you out with your business name search.
- Your business name should simple and easy to remember
- Be descriptive but not vague or generic
- Use related words smartly
- Avoid copying your competitors or even taking inspiration from them. Think different
- Choose a name that is scalable so you don’t have to change it frequently and it fits perfectly for different occasions.
- Buy a related web domain early. Even if someone has already bought it, give them an offer and buy from them.
- Add a modifier to your domain name and choose a top-level domain so that your customers can easily memorize your business name.
I hope this article might have helped you in knowing how to register a company name in Australia. How did you register a business name in Australia? Share your experience with us in the comments section below.